The Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) announced July 15 the establishment of the CSA Investor Advisory Panel (CSA IAP), and the appointment of its first members.
As announced in 2021, the CSA IAP aims to “provide meaningful insight into retail investors' interests and support the CSA's policy development, strengthening Canada's capital markets while enhancing investor protection. It will also promote coordination and enhancement of pan-Canadian investor-related issues,” says a CSA statement.
Panel members are appointed for staggered terms of either two or three years beginning on Sept. 1, 2022. Their term is open for one renewal.
The CSA announced the members of the panel. They are:
- Guy Lemoine - Chair, former President of the Quebec Financial Markets Administrative Tribunal (2003-2008) as well as former Vice-President and Commissioner of the Commission des valeurs mobilières du Québec (1990-2003). Lemoine is a private practice lawyer who has served on the boards of several organizations, including FAIR Canada.
- Cristie Ford, a Professor of Law at the Peter A. Allard School of Law, University of British Columbia, with a research focus on financial and securities regulation.
- Eric Spink, a private practice lawyer with experience in a variety of roles, including law reformer, government official, securities regulator, and adjudicator.
- Ryan Clements, an Assistant Professor, Chair of Business Law and Regulation at the University of Calgary, Faculty of Law.
- Susan Milburn, a Saskatchewan financial advisor at Raymond James Ltd.
- Millie Acuna, the Manager, Asset Building Programs at SEED (Supporting Employment & Economic Development) in Winnipeg.
- Line Deslandes, an executive with 20 years of experience in the Financial Services and Capital Markets Industry.
- Annick Kwetcheu Gamo, a specialist in financial education, financial coach.
- Jason Alcorn, an Associate Professor at the Faculty of Law of Université de Moncton.
In addition, the CSA says that to ensure appropriate interconnection between the CSA IAP and the Ontario Securities Commission's Investor Advisory Panel (OSC IAP), Neil Gross, Chair of the OSC IAP, has been cross-appointed until he completes his term on the OSC IAP on October 31, 2022. After that term, he will remain a member of the CSA IAP. He is a former Executive Director of FAIR Canada and a lawyer.
Brigitte Catellier, who joined the OSC IAP in 2021, will be cross-appointed as of Nov. 1, 2022. Catellier is Associate Director of the Investor Protection Clinic at Osgoode Hall Law School, where she is an adjunct professor.
"We are thrilled to have this group of highly qualified individuals join the CSA IAP," said Stan Magidson, CSA Chair and Chair and CEO of the Alberta Securities Commission. "They have the extensive and diverse experience needed to bring an important perspective on investor protection in Canada. Their contributions will support the CSA in its long-standing commitment to provide beneficial regulatory outcomes for retail investors and will complement the work of existing investor panels and CSA member committees."