Proof of income statements can be ordered online

By Andrew Rickard | August 29 2016 01:30PM

Do your clients' children require proof of income statements for their student loans? They can order one through the Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) web site.

Those who apply for a student loan, grant, or subsidy may need to provide a printed proof of income statement to their financial institution or to a municipal, provincial, territorial or federal government department. In a message posted to its web site late last week, the CRA reminded taxpayers that this form, which is also known as an "option 'C' print", can now be ordered online.

Besides the regular web site, students may use the MyCRA mobile site to send an electronic request to the CRA from their smartphones or tablets. The tax authorities will then send a printed proof of income statement by mail.

"You can also get your proof of income statement by calling the CRA’s automated Tax Information Phone Service at 1-800-267-6999," reads the message from the CRA. "After choosing your language, select option 1 and follow the instructions. We will send you one right away!"

Note that those who do not need option C may use the CRA’s MyAccount web site to view and print detailed summaries of notices of assessment or reassessment issued between 2004 and February 9, 2015.