Taxpayer relief offered to flood victims

By The IJ Staff | May 09 2017 09:45AM

Photo: Unsplash | Kelly Sikkema

The Canada Revenue Agency is reminding Canadians that taxpayer relief is available to Canadians impacted by natural disasters such as the recent flooding in areas of Quebec and the National Capital Region.

In a statement issued May 8, the CRA said the agency “understands that natural disasters may cause hardship for taxpayers whose primary concern during this time are their families, homes, and communities.”

Individuals, businesses or first responders

If these individuals, businesses, and first responders find themselves unable to file or pay their taxes on time, they are encouraged to make a request for taxpayer relief.

A request for taxpayer relief can be made online, by using Form RC4288, Request for Taxpayer Relief, or by calling the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 (individual enquiries), or 1-800-959-5525 (business enquiries).

These requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis, says the CRA.

Related to the same topic …