CRA offers taxpayer relief to Canadians affected by wildfires

By The IJ Staff | August 28 2018 01:30PM

The Canada Revenue Agency has advised Canadians who are dealing with the effects of wildfires, including those in British Columbia and Ontario, that they may have access to taxpayer relief.

Because of the fires, many individuals, businesses and first responders may be unable to file or pay their taxes on time. The CRA encourages them to ask for taxpayer relief. They can do so online, by using Form RC4288, Request for Taxpayer Relief, or by calling 1-800-959-8281 for individual enquiries or 1-800-959-5525 for business enquiries. The CRA will consider requests on a case by case basis.

Taxpayers who cannot get to the banks or financial institutions they normally use are encouraged to register for the CRA’s secure online services. Through My Account, individuals can register for direct deposit and avoid interruptions to the tax refund or benefit payments they may be expecting.

“Our thoughts are with people affected by the wildfires in British Columbia and Ontario, including first responders who work tirelessly to extinguish them, and who should not be penalized for filing and paying their taxes late. I invite them to contact the CRA to discuss their situation and take advantage of the services we offer in these circumstances,” said Diane Lebouthillier, Minister of National Revenue, in a statement Aug. 28.